Jo,

I would recommend the pump just for the reasons you've mentioned. Eat while you sleep. Less Hassle, Load the bags / prime it / and turn on. Really very easy. The pump I have is a EnteraLite Infinity. Approximately 6 x 4 x 3", (Small with battery or electric power source. Weighs about 2.5 lbs. In theory it can be carried around while the person is receiving the feed. Downside is the supply source, 1200ml bags and 3 feet of tube makes it a little obtrusive. That's why I sit / sleep during feeds.

Our dog is a mixed breed, Great Dane and Irish Wolfhound. We've been an adoptive rescue family for Great Danes for the last twenty years. He can pull pretty hard when he wants too, but he's fairly well trained.....most of the time! During my recovery I was off work for about seven months. Finn, (our dog), attached himself to me.....slept with me and wouldn't let me out of his sight. Wonderful companion during a rough time.

I'm a civil engineer. Have a MS from The University of Pittsburgh. Work for a large construction company specializing in Heavy Civil projects, (Toll Road construction /. reconstruction / Lock and Dam rehabilitation / Utility construction / Railroad / etc). Very busy, hard work, with lots of stress. I work a lot, but force myself to a maximum of 50 hours per week.

Between the job and kids the To Do List at the house is a distant third and grows longer each day.

It's busy but fulfilling.

I agree that family and a strong support system is essential to successfully getting through these issues. I also understand about family / friends keeping our health issues at a distance. (I don't think they are intentionally acting that way. Probably an internal emotional buffer.)

1997 SCC Tumor on tongue - Partial Gloss
1997 Met to Lymph
Radical Neck Dissection / 2nd Partial Gloss
6 weeks chemo and radiation
Brachytherapy
2011 Stroke
2014 Recurrence SCC at Base of Tongue / Hemi-gloss
Free Flap reconstr from thigh
PEG Tube
Radiation
Permanent Issues with speech and swallowing
2018 - Bleeding throat / mouth