Hi there... her surgery sounds a lot like it's oral tongue not base of tongue, especially based on treatment. If so it's likely not HPV related though one never knows - stranger things have happened.

Treatment sucks BIG TIME, more so than the surgery. The surgery is nothing - really I was on a beach two and a half weeks post op. I looked like I'd been hit by a truck but there was little pain. The problem with a neck dissection (bilateral) is that you will have some weakness in your shoulders and arms and numbness and tightness in your neck, jaw and ear - for a bit. It never truly goes away but it does improve - I had physio and did the exercises while I was walking my dog. You should recover fairly quickly from the surgery - then radiation slaps you back down ;o(

You will get there though... stay strong.

Last edited by Cheryld; 09-25-2012 10:44 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan