I would NOT suggest you tell anyone "NO" when they offer their assistance. Now is NOT the time for having too much pride not to accept some help. Everyone needs a caregiver, especially if you are going to have a major surgery. Even if they just answer your telephone, get your mail and make sure you are getting enough calories and hydration. You may sail right thru everything, some do but others will struggle and end up hospitalized (that was me). Believe it or not you may be strong now but when the going gets tough you will not be yourself and need help and get this.... you will be soooo glad your parents are there. As I suggested in my previous post, dont tell anyone no, tell them all when the time comes you will let them know what they can do to help then write down their name and number.

I know you say your eating is compromised right now but you MUST get adequate intake or you will have a harder time of everything. Every single day you need to take in a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water. This is especially important during chemo and radiation. I know it sounds like way too much but its not, in fact if you can take in 3500 calories daily that would be even better. You wont gain weight either. This is because the cancer is burning up calories and your body is fighting very hard to ward it off so its burning them up too. Once treatment begins then your body is trying to heal which further burns the calories like crazy. Push yourself now to eat and drink. It will become more difficult down the road so get used to this. You will have a much harder time if you dont listen to this advice. Trust me, you do NOT want to end up hospitalized for malnutrition and dehydration. Even with having a feeding tube it can happen (that was me again). I didnt have a caregiver watching my intake so I would skimp and this is why its so important to have someone there for you every single day.

Your work may be possible from home or you may not be up to it. That is secondary right now. Your health is most important and this needs to be taken care of ASAP. Cancer has a way of becoming top priority over everything.

Best wishes!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy