Charm,

Are you self employed or an employee? If an employee are you covered under a medical plan now? Easy answer to your 7.5% threshold problem is yes you can but I need more info.

Re the canned tax software, I wouldn't trust any of that stuff for anything other than the simplest of returns. Sad but true we even find errors in our expensive software that once pointed out early in the season is corrected quickly and the fix is downloaded. I download updates to my tax software 2 to 3 times A DAY as forms are constantly being approved by the IRS for E filing so how can a $19.95 disk that is produced in say August and hits the shelves in December be anything close to accurate?
As you know our tax laws are extremely complicated and interwoven where one small word change could impact 10's of code sections therefore resulting in changes to numerous forms. Even the IRS's computers are often not sophisticated enough to catch software errors which may or may not be harmful to the user.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.