My first real job was working for IRS as a Taxpayer Service Representative for the 1976 filing season. This was a GS-4 position and I was one of those who answered questions on the 800 phone line. I received 1 and � months of training and of course became an instant tax �expert� (an internal study at that time showed that 30-40% of the answers given over the phone were in error).

Craig and I had just finished two years in the Peace Corps immediately following college. One of the requirements of this great IRS job was that the past three years of our income tax returns were audited. Since our combined annual income for each of our PC years was $1800 (well below the amount required to file returns) and no income tax was withheld (no need to file for a refund) we did not file returns for 1973 and 1974 (perfectly legal). Well, the auditors went nuts!!! How could IRS hire a GS-4 (salary about $7,000/year) who hadn�t even filed returns for two years? How could two people survive on such a paltry gross income?? We must have cheated on our taxes! We must have been anarchists!! I almost wasn�t hired.

My potential immediate supervisor was so desperate for one more warm body that a compromise was arranged with the auditors. I received a very severe �Letter of Reprimand� which stated that if I ever failed to file returns in the future I would be rounded up and shipped off to Alcatraz.

I ditched this job mid-February for a better one at a different agency. My boss was furious that I �took advantage� of their extensive training and didn�t even finish the tax season!

Needless to say, I always make sure I file our income tax returns in a timely fashion, knowing that somewhere out there, IRS has a folder on me, labeling me as a scofflaw!

Thanks David for your generous offer to answer questions for us. This certainly is �Above and Beyond�.

Catherine

2mm tumor excised 09/23/2008 (floor of mouth)
SCC (superficially invasive, well-differentiated)
Stage 1, T1N0M0
01/2009 and 01/2010 - PET/CT clear
Four and 1/2 years - NED!
"Detection can be easy, treatment is not!"