Jim04,
Dentists are trained in Canada and the U.S. to perform a standard oral cancer screening. This includes but is not limited too; extra and intra oral visual inspection preferrably with magnification, extra and intra oral palpation and proper documentation and a clinical description of any areas that vary from normal. A follow-up examination is recommended for abnormal tissues within 2-4 weeks. At the follow-up examination if abnormal areas or tissues are still present then further investigation is recommended whether it be another re-examination, biopsy and/or referral. The Vis-A-Lite and Blue Light techniques are techniques that can be used by practioners to aid in their examination. I use the Velscope. These additional procedures and techniques, no matter which one, are adjuncts to the normal inspection that should be done. They all have their pros and cons but, provide information to the clinician that is not available to the naked eye.
Jim the Velscope was developed in Canada and has recieved much hype as have other diagnostic tools for the early detection of oral abnormalities but, the standard of care as far as I am aware in Canada and the U.S. is a proper medical history, visual and manual inspection. These additional aids are helpful but are unfortunatly underutilized, in my opinion. Dentists who do not incoorporate these additional procedures in their practice are not underservicing their patients as long as they are being diligent in their visual and manual inspections.
Brian has on several occasions posted about dental examinations and there is an extensive description for patients and dentists about examinations on this site. Unfortunatly many dentists do not perform regular comprehensive Oral Cancer screenings and examinations in their practices.
I hope this answers your question.
God Bless.
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.