Hope Jim is doing better. Older people can react very dramatically to being hospitalized, pain and other medications, etc. At one point my father did not even recognize me during his hospitalization - he asked me very beligerently why I kept calling him "Dad" and he tried to hit me and the PT - so out of character for my reserved, proper English Dad. My sister and I had to have a major confrontation with the doctors and nurses to A) Get them to stop pumping him full of meds that were only compounding the problem and B) Realize that there was also probably more going on than they were seeing - in his case, he had an infection in his central line and they did not realize it. (they thought he always acted like that - go figure!)

So it's really important to have people around who know and love Jim and can act as his advocate....

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!