Jim,

My dad has chemo on Tuesdays. One thing that shortens the wait time is to have his blood work done on Mondays. This way they know if he will be ok to have it the next morning. They wont do the blood work on Friday for Monday chemo though. This may be something you want to look into.

Additionally, waiting until you mess up one time driving is not a good idea. One time could be very serious and may not be as simple as just running a red light or missing a turn. The last thing you would want to do is to hurt someone else. I've seen the forgetfulness first hand. The other day mom drove around for almost an hour looking for the place that dad gets his hair cut. He could remember that it was in a white building but he couldn't tell her where it was. He's been living in the same town for 30 years and getting his hair cut in the same place for about 10.

Please contact the pastor of your church and ask for help. As the daughter of a pastor I can tell you that if he can't help you he will find someone who can. It's tough having to ask, but you really need help right now. It snowed here about two weeks ago and my mom didn't feel comfortable driving it it to take dad to radiation. It was so hard for her, but she picked up the phone and asked one of the men at the church if he could drive dad to his treatment. He came right over and helped out.

I wish you nothing but the best.

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.