Forget completely about acupunture and herbal medicines. The time you waste trying them will cause the cancer to become a far more advanced stage and potentially fatal.

If you study the link I sent you ealier, it lists 3 different potential paths to take to treat this. You have door #1 through #3 in conjunction with the best medical advice you can get. It sounds to me like the entire diagnosis isn't in yet. You will need an MRI, possibly a CT as well and a PET/CT to determine whether or not there is any metastesis. Without all of the information the staging sounds like a guestimate to me. Occasionally some persons having the neck disection will have nodes test positive - that will bump the staging up 1.

The tongue, being tough and fibrous tissue, and it's location make it more difficult to treat. In the US typically an aggresive treatment plan is usually recommended.

If she does the radiation and chemo route they will be radiating some of the nodes as well.

These are all tough choices to makes. Take a deep breath, take good notes, ask a lot questions about the risks and benefits of each possible treatment plan/option and ask for second opinions. Seek out the best cancer docs in Canada and/or see if possibly the medical files can be reviewed in the US at a CCC like Memorial Sloan Kettering. It is critical that the second opinion be done prior to the start of treatment as the CCC's typically won't want to become involved after treatment is started.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)