Sometimes people who mean well speak out of turn. Your fathers doctors have many many more years of education behind their medical degrees than a nurse. One well meaning nurse who probably doesnt follow patients for years like the medical oncologist does shouldnt be making treatment plan comments at all. They are commenting on something that is NOT even their specialty! The doctors created the treatment plan are going by many years of medical research on many patients. They have flow charts with every imaginable situation listed. If you want to see it, ask the docs about it. I used to know how to find it but off the top of my head I just cant remember anymore. Its been years since Ive taken a look at it. In the end, the choice is the patients who is swayed by not feeling their best right now. In my (unprofessional) opinion patients should try their best to stick to the original treatment plan as much as possible. Your father does NOT want to risk a recurrence and have to endure anything else after this is completed, its just not worth it.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma