Pretty much the only thing I could get down was liquid, even a few weeks after treatment. No pudding, no eggs, no yogurt. I lost 35 pounds and much of that after rads ended. One member here gave me a link for high calorie Boost, this might be an option for your dad. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nestle-Boo...72738251704?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
A couple of these a day, maybe mixed in a smoothie with other high protein items, or to supplement his intake. I could not keep up with Christine's recommendation of daily calories, it was just too hard. But the more protein and calories you can pack into a drink the better! I used protein powder and peanut butter powder, I was told to throw in an avocado with a smoothie. My after rads treat was a run to Jamba Juice for a Protein Berry Workout Smoothie with an extra shot of protein. Towards the end and for a few weeks after rads I was on percocet 24/7. Your dad will likely need some form of opioid, and need daily help to drive to appointments. This is no time to tough it out. And as Christine said, maybe the fentanyl patch. My sister has had stomach upset with Metformin so I think it is very common. When he gets back to his primary doctor maybe he can try something else.

Diagnosed 11/17 SCC right side of tongue
Surgery 2/18 Partial Glossectomy
Radiation 3/18 - 5/18
Clear PET scan 10/18
Non smoker, occasional alcohol use