You definitely want the magic mouthwash ... ask for that, and they'll know what it is, or your pharmacy will. As they said, it's got slightly different formulations everywhere, but it really does help. I hated that stuff and still used it because it did help.

After radiation and some healing, you can get your dad to a speech and swallow therapist. I saw one. Technically would be still seeing one, but took a break for the denture surgery stuff. She did wonders for me ... helped regain speech, taught me swallowing techniques, helped me learn massage techniques to help the muscle damage and ease the lymph node damage. Worth her weight in gold, and then some. I can't wait to get back to her.

As for chemo ... that's up to each person. I think the radiation did more damage than the chemo, honestly. But everyone will have a different experience, and who can tell what symptoms to blame on what, after too much chaos. Definitely talk to the oncologist directly, and ask about the side effects of each drug that will be in his chemo mix. They can adjust it to be what he needs, leave part out if it's not appropriate, and so on.

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June