Hi Vicky. I was struggling with the last few radiation treatments, and was hoping to avoid the last chemo, as it was for a partial week of my last rads.
I discussed with both Oncologists.
What it boiled down to me, was a matter of statistics. These treatments were developed to work at the specified protocols. It doesn't mean that they can't succeed with one less of one or the other. But each "miss" just lessens the percentage of success. I figured, after putting up with so much, even months before the rads/chemo, why even take a chance of lessening the odds, even by a fraction?
So I pushed through to the end. And needed extra hydration and a Fentanyl patch among all the other things discussed on the forum.
Not saying every situation is the same, I didn't have much tongue swelling, and didn't have the same surgeries others had.
But my point is, I wouldn't think the completing the original protocol would be overkill.
It's a risk /reward of what that patient can complete. But I think it's probably best to try to keep Dad positive, and focus on one day at a time. All things will pass, I can't believe I'm over 2 months post treatment. You and your Dad will be there in a few months also.

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.