Hi, Dani

You have every right to complain. Speech and eating are such fundamental functions that to lose them even partially is more than anyone can take lightly. What do your doctors and SLT say about the palate?

I understand that you feel as if all the fight has gone out of you. A body and mind can only take so much. You say you are in therapy. Is that with an SLT or a health psychologist? An experienced health psychologist should be able to help you deal with these issues. I didn't know that such a role existed until recently and I'm impressed by the help I've been given.

You are in the right place here. I'm not a long term oral cancer survivor but I've been in the shadow of cancer since 1996 and I know what a burden it places on us. It's hard, so hard but we are special because of what we have endured. Let all your emotions out, seek as much help as you can and then see if your old determination comes back.

I wish you well.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.