OK. This thread is very interestkng to me. I did not have radiation, only a 1\3 glossectomy with flap anterior right side of tongue. About 8 months post I was admitted to the stepdown ICU unit with FUO and sepsis. Doctors blamed it on pneumonia but nothing showed up on 2 chest xrays. I was treated in the ICU for 3 days for sepsis of unknown origin. I now wonder if it was aspiration since my new normal includes trouble chewing and swallowing anything but very small bites. I had pneumonia like symptoms for a week before I went to the hospital with fever of 102. Very interesting. My local doctors were stump ed as to why I was septic and near organ failure with no obvious source of infection.

48 yo female, quit smoking 4yrs ago, light drinker, Stage 2 SCC, Bx3, Dx 8/22/13, surgery 9/11/13. Partial glossectomy, bilateral neck dissection levels 1-4. Tongue reconstruction with flap from forearm. 87 Lymph nodes CLEAR. Tongue margins good at 1 cm. No further treatment planned. Monthly monitoring planned for upcoming year then periodic monitoring for next 4