Kristen, knowing what I know now, I would have done all of my restaurant bucket list sooner ;-) I do have other 12+ year survivor friends who are having no issues, so just as we all respond differently to treatment, so we respond differently to post treatment as well. You may have thyroid damage because of the position of your tumor and the radiation beam entry points. They can manage that with medications. Aspiration pneumonia probably won't show up until year 10, post TX, if it shows up at all. Neck spasms were the first radiation damage issue to appear at about year 2.Swallowing liquid badly will get you pneumonia. At this early stage in treatment, they should be able to provide you with swallowing therapy that is effective. Things to watch out for down the road are baro-reflex failure. This can cause BP, heart rate and temperature problems. If this does occur, it will be at about 10 years post Tx. Just stay in the now and don't get into the future too much.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)