Kerri,

Great post! I have not seen this issued discussed on the OCF forum before, so I�m glad you brought it up.

You situation sounds very similar to what I went through. I was employed as a business analyst for over 20 years when I was diagnosed with oral cancer in 2005. I had a recurrence in 2010. I was treated with RT in 2006, had 4 surgeries between 2005 and 2011, and had many complications. I worked part-time during part of my treatment, would return to work between treatments, but then additional treatment would require that I go out on medical leave again. This continued for many years until 2012 when I went out on long-term disability.

I applied for SSDI and was rejected the first time. I was also told it was typical to be rejected at the first two steps in the process, so I was very surprised that I received the favorable decision from SSA at step 2.

I had LTD coverage through my employer and that company has a reputation for rejecting claims. After receiving benefits from them for about a year, they denied my claim. I appealed and was denied again. I then hired a lawyer, and won the second appeal. After I won the second appeal, they sent me to one of their doctors for a physical (this was about a year ago). I�m assuming that doctor agreed with my doctors as they continued to pay me my monthly LTD benefit.

My last 3 surgeries were post RT and because of a recurrence. Needless to say this was very stressful and recovery took a lot longer. I did not return to work for a number of months after surgery #4 and I soon realized that was a big mistake. I struggled to work full time (40 hours per week), and quickly used up my remaining sick and vacation time. After a few months and with my doctors� recommendation, I applied for medical leave again. This took a few weeks to be approved. I had hoped to return to work again after a few more months of rest, but this is when I went out on long-term disability.

I am very grateful to still be alive even with all the on-going medical issues, but it is frustrating and stressful to have to battle with insurance companies after the battle we�ve already been through.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)