What I noticed with the change was 1. They removed the enzymes that simulate saliva's protective abilities in fighting bacteria. 2. They made the formula so irritating to my mouth I could no longer use it. If you read the reviews at places that sell Biotene products you will see many angry comments from people who are not in this forum, and who are saying the same things.

I stopped using their mouthwash and switched to Rite-Aid Dry Mouth mouth wash. It has the enzymes in it, but I have no way of knowing if this is only some trace amount that does no good.

As for their toothpaste, I found that Biotene now has a Gentle Mint flavor that is not too harsh on my mouth. It is also easier on my mouth than all other brands I tried. To make up for lack of enzymes, I use a xylitol tablet after brushing to encourage saliva flow.

Squamous cell carcinoma base of tongue. Lymph involvement unclear; staging placed at "2 or 3." Biopsy 4/18/2008. Treatment: IMRT every day for 7 weeks. Cisplaten once a week to sensitize cancer to radiation. Treatment ended 7/16/08. PET/CT shows no more cancer.