My last treatment was 5-6 weeks ago. I was able to drink milkshakes within a week or two, but I was fortunate to have rarely had mouth sores or pain in general. I tried softer foods like sherbet thereafter, and solid foods first came about 3 1/2 weeks after the last treatment. Everyone is really different, however, but for me I have gotten a great deal of my taste back already--everything I tried on thanksgiving tasted as I remember it except for mashed potatoes. I notice that some flavors are still very exaggerated and thus tastable, but not palatable: chocolate, savory flavors like most spices, etc. The bigger issue for me is a completely dry mouth that makes eating anything that isn't inherently juicy very challenging unless I add water to my mouth as I chew (green beans and cucumbers worked best for me, meat and bread the worst). My intake is still about 90% boost VHC. Instead of continuing to lose weight I have gained back 1 lb by pushing myself to do more Boost and having milkshakes more often (a Steak and Shake chocolate shake is 630 calories). I also mix my Boost 50:50 with whole milk, making each one of those about 670 calories; I like it much better with the milk, as tastes better and is not so thick. Good luck!

Last edited by Ed H; 11-27-2012 01:43 PM.

Ed H, NE Ohio
SCC BOT with lymph node involvement, HPV+, diagnosed 7/12
Radiation and Cisplatin