I was fortunate to have had my doc let me choose the date for my mandibulectomy. He told me it must be within the next 2 months or the cancer may not be able to be cured. I selected a date almost 2 months later to give myself time to prepare. Boy did I live it up during those 2 months. I also prepared to die and made all the necessary arrangements for my children in case that happened. It was the longest 2 months of my life. I will never forget being at the hospital at 5am with my son waiting for the surgery. I was laying there joking, I even had photos taken after the doctors signed my face and neck. I made sure if I didnt come out of it he would always remember it was what I wanted to do to try to survive. I never wanted my children to ever feel any remorse for my choice of having the surgery. It was one of the hardest things Ive ever had to do staying cheerful and optimistic in front of my son while I was scared to death that I wasnt going to ever see my son again. The 2 months also gave me way too much time to worry which wasnt a good thing.

If you choose the surgery today, I wish you all the very best with everything!!!! I will wait to see your posts. Thinking of you today!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma