Steve, I know that this is terrifying for you. The thought of living without a voice!
Kris had his larynx removed in March. At the moment he uses an IPad to communicate, and it is laboriously slow. However, in another 3 months when the tissues have all healed post the surgery ( and earlier radiation ) he will have a TEP one way speaking valve inserted . This will provide a passage between the trachea windpipe and his oesophagus. This then enables speech to occur, with a lot of help from the speech therapist.
I imagine that for you speech , clear speech , will be very attainable. You still have your tongue so you should get clear, very understandable speech. Many , many laryngectomees live full lives and enjoy all facets of life. If they are working they continue to work. Why on earth not? Other people will adjust to your new way of talking, as will you. Yes, you will be able to hold phone conversations.
Kris is still recovering but he has a good life which will only get better. Yes, it is isolating to begin with, but there is an endpoint and goal in sight. Certainly our 3 sons and myself would much prefer to have him this way than not at all.
You have not been given your treatment options yet so really you have no decision to make as yet. Grab life. It is precious. Don't let a small handicap of speaking differently deter you.
Hang in there,
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!