Hi Rachel, I had a similar surgery to you back on the 28th April. I remember that stage of forcing myself to drink those fortified drinks although initially I tended to pump some of them through my PEG tube. The medics seemed to manage my transition from intravenous to PEG tube to drinking tp eating yoghurt to real food quite well so that I never really got hungry. Fortunately, nursing care was good and I had my first proper meal on the 9th May which was the day before they released me. First evening home I managed some salmon braised in coconut sauce with mashed potatoes. It felt like the best meal of my life even if I needed sips of water to help it down and it took ages to finish. From then until my radiotherapy started to affect me I was eating fairly well, softer food with lots of sauce. Today, I have just got home from a late sunday lunch out in Liverpool with friends when I had scallops to start, duck breast and tiramasiu. All eaten with no problem at all. So don't be too down, it will get better.
I did quite a few soups in the early days and after radiotherapy prepared by my wife who put lots of puried normal food in the soups so they were quite filling - and much better than the fortified drinks.

Diagnosed Early April 2010 SCC left tongue t3n1
PEG insertion 26th April 2010
Patial glossectomy with flap from arm and left neck dissection 28th April
20 sessions of radiotherapy in June
PEG removal Today - yippee! 19th Nov