Hi all,
I just want to reply to the post regarding people here getting radiation first. My Dr, an ENT was also part of a cancer board in MN. She took my case to the cancer board from day 1 and they always recommended surgery. After the 2nd surgery to try and get clear margins, I met with the radiation and chemo at a concer center, and niether of them suggested radiation or chemo would benifit me. They said the only reason they would suggest radiation and chemo was if sugery was not a viable option to remove the tumor. They also said after a successfull surgery, there was really no defind tumor to aim at with radiation, and they would never be able to find the "sub-microscopic" cancers cells if they were present, to aim at.
Sometimes I wonder at the wisdom of my dr's decision. But then I read about all the negative permenant problems from chemo and raditaion and that is no picnic either. It seems that no matter what the treatment path, it is pretty much a terrible trip and we are all left with lasting issues and scars.
I am not sure what my point is with this post. Other than maybe to point out the diffrent opinions regarding this disease. I just know that if my cancer does return ,I can have more surgery and I can also have radiation and chemo, which if I would have had that first, I would not have that option later. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Take care Scott, we are here for you. You have come to the right place for support, and to get questions answerd. Let us know how your doing.

Wendy

Last edited by wendys; 08-26-2010 05:47 AM.

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear