Search for Gary on the boards and PM him. He also dealt with Kaiser. He is very knowledgable as a moderator on these boards and is in SF.

I do not get why your doctor would not want you to get a multidisciplinary opinion at a tumor board before moving forward. What's the down side? You get doctors - all from different backgrounds and training, all authorities in head and neck oncology, deciding TOGETHER what is likely to be the most successful path for you. That he is telling you what these other people would say, (is he also a radiation and chemo expert?) make me want you to get that second opinion more.

People here including me had radiation first, some with chemo some without. For me that meant NO intraoral surgery, and just a neck dissection afterwards to be sure, which turned out to be all negative for cancer. My first opinion was from Stanford from a head and neck surgeon, and he told me the same thing you are hearing. I spent a couple days calling people in the medical industry that I knew and they all told me to head for MD Anderson in Houston, where a multidisciplinary team chose my treatment path.... 12 years ago as a stage 4 patient.

Whatever path you choose we all wish the best for you.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.