Thanks to everyone for their input! I'm so happy to see that this board is so active. Matter of fact, I'm meeting up with someone tonight who's been down my road and can offer insight. I'll be trying to meet with whomever I can, while I can, from this board as we're all in the same (similar) boat.

I've been down the list of cancer centers in my area and none seem to take Kaiser HMO. Seems they have a new center in South San Francisco that they're trying to get everyone into. I stopped into UCSF on my way home today and asked about a 2nd opinion there - they start at $1500 for the consultation alone, and then the tab keeps running. I won't be able to afford that... Still trying to look around and see what's out there.

A recent reply to an email from my doctor might squash any sort of necessity for a 2nd opinion.

He wrote:
"I do not think the radiation oncologist or medical oncologist would advise with nonsurgical therapy up front. If they did however, and, the tumor did shrink, we still need to resect the same amount as we will not be able to ensure clear margins. It has nothing to do with me going for that. The decision is yours to make. I am giving you the best recommendation I can to get the best possible result which is surgery up front."

So, even if the tumor shrank they'd still have to take out the same amount. Oh.

I'll be in and out of the boards for a while and want to thank everyone for what they've done so far.

I'll catch you guys around!

Scott

scc oral tongue cancer, stage IV
biopsied - 08/02/10
got the news - 08/10/10
staged (T4aN1M0)- 08/23/10
surgery (75% glossectomy) - 09/15/10
30x IMRT radiation completed - 12/28/2010
3x Cisplatin chemo completed - 12/27/2010
returned home - 09/23/10 (yay!)