I can think of about a thousand other forums that I'd rather be posting to, no offense!

To say that this comes as a surprise after years of smoking and drinking, would be a lie. To say that I'm surprised it's gotten hold of my tongue, would be true.

I had gone to the ER last December for an unrelated matter, but brought up the lump under my tongue while I was there. "Aphthous ulcer", they said. "I have one, too", crowed the Dr. No need to worry, just avoid stress and all will be fine.

One job folded and I waited a couple of months until the new job's insurance came up. Got it and went to the GP. He about fell over when I saw the mess that my tongue had become. I figured it was just ulcers, en masse. He sent me to an ENT.

ENT took a look and ordered a biopsy. Biopsy came back positive for SCC, oral tongue cancer.

Met with the Head and Neck surgeon he sent me to yesterday and had the worst day of my life (so far...).

Got the call today to set up surgery date - September 15.

Doctor said it will be hell. (nearly passed out as he went down the list)
2/3 glossectomy, trach, head re-section, feeding tube, check the nodes. reconstruct tongue. 7 days in hospital, 6-8 weeks recovery followed by 7 weeks of rad, and probably three doses of chemo.

To say that this sucks would be an understatement!

If anyone on here is in SF, I could use some support... Speech is labored, eating is no fun- much less swallowing.

I spend a lot of time online and can be reached any of the ways seen in my profile, or through here.

I'm especially interested in any advice people can give about non-surgical treatments as I'd like to keep my tongue!

If it helps, I have Kaiser HMO...

Thanks!

Scott

scc oral tongue cancer, stage IV
biopsied - 08/02/10
got the news - 08/10/10
staged (T4aN1M0)- 08/23/10
surgery (75% glossectomy) - 09/15/10
30x IMRT radiation completed - 12/28/2010
3x Cisplatin chemo completed - 12/27/2010
returned home - 09/23/10 (yay!)