Lori

thank you for making me an honest man. I prefaced this thread's first post with my opinion that the New York Times article was
"provocative" , yet until you posted, there was nothing provocative at all in the OCF responses. Your responses are perfectly acceptable in this forum since it is expressly for coping with anger/fear. Who wouldn't be angry in your shoes?

Even though it is not politically correct, I also find myself angry at the tone & tenor of many articles by prostate cancer survivors who seem to think their experiences of an easily curable and highly overtreated cancer (estimates range as high as 70% of prostate TX were never needed as the tumor would have grown so slowly the patient would have died of old age first) are universally applicable to insidious cancers like OCF patients and caregivers. You simply do not have the watch and wait option with oral cancer. In this case, I just told myself, yep - finally an honest prostate cancer guy admitting it wasn't much of a battle. Too bad he thought he was representative of anyone with oral cancer. I've seen prostate cancer up front and personal when my Dad was diagnosed with it twenty five years ago and don't discount the anguish and fear that any cancer causes a family but from where I sit, oral cancer is much much worse. (and like most prostate cancer patients, my Dad died of something else - heart attack). Sorry for your loss.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13