Your situation sounds similar to mine. I had minor surgery then major surgery - only difference is that there were two years between - and I'm 40 years older than you. I wondered if my aging body would handle it but there was no trouble in that respect!

I had a trach (end of October) and a feeding tube in my nose. I wish I had found out more about the procedure before I went in. The trach frightened me a bit at first but at the end of the first week I was cleaning the tube myself and even at my age the transition from the first trach to the second was easy and the removal problem-free. I have a neat little scar so no worries there. If you could ask them before surgery to explain how the trach functions and how it is kept clean and clear, that might help. I was a bit confused about the suctioning and so on to keep it secretion free. Overall it was very doable.

I didn't like the feed tube much because I felt they force fed me with supplements but it is put in when you are barely conscious and is easily taken out once you can swallow those lovely liquid foods yourself. Apparently the protein is essential for healing and the person with the most authority seemed to be the dietician!

It's a horrible thing to happen to someone so young but when the time comes for the surgery you will cope day by day. Get all the info you can about the procedure and be glad that the cancer will be gone.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.