Hi Watt,

Most doctors do not test for HPV unless you make the request. Often insurance doesn't cover the cost...so you may end up paying out of pocket if you decide to get the test done.

HPV related cancers are only found in the Base of Tongue and Tonsils...although not all BOT and Tonsil Cancers are HPV+.

What we are learning from posters on this forum is that HPV related cancers seem to respond well to treatment and appear to have less chance of recurrence. If you search on the main page for HPV you can find more scientific data than my general summary.

Some people get their biopsies tested for HPV for peace of mind. I think DavidCPA is un-scientifically adding up the percentages of all the posters who are HPV+. Although, yesterday his math led him to 120% so we don't know how reliable he is. (Just Kidding David!!!!)

I'm sure your facility still has your biopsy sample so if you decide you want to get the testing done, talk to your doctor.

I hope you keep posting...and, we'll keep rooting for you and sending positive thoughts your way.

If your wife needs some support (because it's hard to see someone you love going through a hard time)...encourage her to join the forum too. Or, if that's not her thing let her know that she can email me at mhupe(at)live(dot)net.

My kids were 12 and 13 at the time of my husband's treatment. There is no doubt that it had a huge impact on them. But, I do not think it was all bad. My kids saw their once very active dad laying in bed crying multiple times...they saw me sitting on the porch crying...they saw me and my friends crying. Cancer can really make a person emotional. And, this particular one is tough because I don't think a lot of people understand just how challenging the treatments are.

For one of my daughter's freshman papers this year, she had to write an essay on a life changing event...she picked the summer of treatment as her topic. It was interesting to read her perspective. She felt helpless at times and she wished she had done more for her dad (she did plenty but that is her perspective)...her final take away is that you have to live fully in each day...because you never know what the future may bring. That's not a bad take away.

My kids saw the whole cycle...from the decline to the recovery. I think it has made them more compassionate.

If you or your wife or kids want to learn more about our story, I kept a blog through treatment. I ended it in Oct of 2007...but recently added a picture of Dan from a cruise we were on in April. It's http://dangreivell.blogspot.com/

There really is a light at the end of the tunnel...and, it's not a train. :-)

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.