Hi Steve,

I'm glad you went exploring on the links on this website, it's quite an amazing wealth of information. We ordered that book through the products page link here and it came fairly quickly. Not too expensive, under $20 as I recall. I'm viewing it as a procedure manual for the cooking challenged, but there are also good tips to improve swallowing in general so it's been helpful. There's a nice variety of recipes in there other than soups.

Those little bites of muffin are big victories, and I'll bet it did taste good. Jack's speech therapist encouraged him to experiment - mind you that was after the video swallowing test that determined where the food was going and that it was safe - but he really took that advice to heart. The first time he hacked up something that didn't quite make it was a little scary but you get over that. He still "repositions" his food as needed but less and less. Small bites, small meals, lots of water, it's all part of the recovery process.

Your son has had quite a career and you're clearly very proud of all your kids. They're wonderful motivation to get through this aren't they. You sound like you're doing well, hang in there and good luck with the ENT visit in a couple of weeks. There's a lot to be said for a positive attitude. I believe that continues to help Jack.

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.