Hey Bart
That's where I am re outcomes, 'meet with triumph and disaster and treat those imposters the same'. I'm in a pretty good place but long time ago said to myself to expect worse before it gets better and maybe more than one battle before the war is won.
Starting week four of chemo and radio tomorrow. Half way point of this wooo hoo. Mouth and throat sore but not overtly painful, more just on-going high level discomfort/ Got horrible mucosis from radio, so mouth full of spit...yuk. I guess they will bring the pain by end of next week but then I'm into a ten day count down to being done and then suffering but without the top up rads and chems as I recover...pain meds if needed and lots of bed, the radiation is a killer, saps ones energy. Interestingly, a few people on here and other forums who have been in the military have similar attitudes...focusing on dealing with what's in front of us, working to keep the mind from straying into that we can't control whilst managing the things we can, like horrible side effects. I think also we have an experience of endurance managing fatigue, refreshing ourselves with short naps when we can sleep, keeping energy levels preserved for harder moments, create little routines to keep our personal S%�t (isn't that what the officers call personal admin haha) together. Also, for me, wanting to know so much, asking questions, framing risks and responses.
Sometimes, you just have to gut it out though!!!!
For everyone out there, its a journey, the victories come after the pain. Lastly, deep inside, I know I have and am being tested and not been found wanting or folded.

John

Life long none smoker, social drinker. Age 46
25 July positive node. Primary in left tonsil.
Neck Disection 27 Aug 20+ nodes removed, bilateral tonsillectomy.
Tonsil primary, other mouth, throat, tongue biopsies showed clear. Node breached but no evidence of spread in surrounding tissues or any other nodes.
T2N2aM0
Wisdom Teeth (all 4) removed mid Sep and Peg fitted first week Oct.
Started six weeks, 30 rads, six chemos total, chemo on Mondays and rads Mon to Fri on Oct 14th.