Welcome to OCF! Glad you have found our site to help you get thru the next phase of treatments. You are among friends here, its like a big extended family with members from around the world.

There are many things to prepare for prior to beginning treatments. Here are just a few things to do to get ready.....

Right now you need to focus on eating everything you like and not worry about gaining weight as you probably will lose some during treatments. I know your mouth is probably sore from the teeth being removed but push yourself. Get a hearing test, full bloodwork including thyroid and testosterone. Line up helpers. Nobody gets thru this alone so anyone who offers to help, write down their name and contact info. Tell them when the time comes you will call on them. Call the American Cancer Society, ask for a driver to take you to rads, and either $300 towards travel expenses or in the form of a pharmacy voucher (its ok to use for co-pays).

Two important things to remember thru all of this are everybody is different and will respond in their own unique way and the only thing you can control is your intake. Every single day you need a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water.... NO SKIMPING! If you skimp one day and think its ok you will make it up the next, you are wrong and will quickly fall into a cycle which can lead to dehydration and malnutrition. On chemo days and the few days afterwards push extra water to flush the poison out of your kidneys.

When treatments begin, pay very close attention to your hearing. If you notice even the slightest change inform your doc immediately. Cisplatin (very common chemo for OC patients) is known to cause high frequency hearing loss which is permanent.

Next thing to do to get ready is to eat. If you are slim, try your best to gain a few pounds. Oral cancer and its treatments can alter your sense of taste and ability to swallow. For most patients its temporary but it could be a few months before you can eat like you do currently, so eat now. You dont want to have cravings so enjoy everything now.

Get flouride trays made and begin using them. This can take weeks so do not delay.

Get your hearing checked and a full blood count including thyroid levels.

I hope I havent overloaded you.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV