I was diagnosed last year at 38 years old (sorry, I'm pushing the upper limits of 'youngster'). I was in otherwise good health. I had none of the historical risk factors - family history, no smoking, no chewing, etc. Every time I see my medical oncologist he still jokingly asks me, "Are you sure you didn't use tobacco? Maybe you've just forgotten". I guess he hasn't seen many cases without the risk factors.

Oral cancer doesn't seem to have much sympathy for your age or even how you've lived your life - it can strike no matter how healthy you've otherwise been.

My treatment story was pretty much like many others...Cisplatin x 3 and IMRT x 35. Very difficult journey, and still not over as I'm concerned about a potential recurrence given some sypmtoms at the moment.

If there is a positive side, it's that as a young person I think you're physically better able to tolerate the treatment than somebody who is not so young and strong.
-Steve

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.