Eilish,

I was 39 when I was diagnosed. I'm a non-smoker and social drinker, and because my doctors considered me not to be at risk for oral cancer, they delayed much too long in dealing with it, even though I repeatedly asked why the lesion wouldn't go away. I've never known for sure what caused the cancer -- back when I had it, HPV wasn't known to be a factor, so I wasn't tested for it (although my cervical exams have never indicated the presence of HPV). I do know that the site of the tumor was a spot on my tongue that was frequently irritated by a sharp tooth. From what I've read over the years, I think several studies have discounted the notion that chronic irritation can contribute to it, but I'm still not convinced.

In any event, that was almost 18 years ago. Thankfully, my medical team pushed for aggressive treatment, and so far it has been a success.

I'm glad to hear you're recovering well at this point. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989