Redser, sorry, I am not a youngster either, diagnosed at age 44 with SCC on the left side of my tongue....I had a tooth that always rubbed my tongue right where the sore eventually came, now was the tumor already in the tongue and it caused the rubbing against the tooth? I don't know, I had the tooth filed down, was prescribed several antibiotics, crowned, etc....when the sore did not go away after many, many months of wasted time, I was sent to my oral surgeon, he took one look and knew exactly what it was.
However, I am coming up on my 5th year since diagnosis (May 10th) for which I am grateful, sorry I lost my point, it had been mentioned to me that I did not fit the normal profile for tongue cancer but no one has ever said the tooth caused it, but I wonder? I mean the constant irritation and all, I don't know, just thought I would chime in....Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---