I consider myself fairly tough and I try not to be a whiney, pain in the patoot, but I don't think I should be having this much pain. I don't think that I should be up a couple of times every night because I hurt. Since starting PT for my neck swelling I am now waking up at 4 or 5 as opposed to 3 or 4. This is the beginning of my 4th week, is this the progress that I can expect?

My right jaw hurts and I have a burning (for lack of better description) on the right side of my mouth that is either my flap or my gums. It's hard to tell. All attempts with food have ceased now, I'm either just too worn out to try to make anything or I hurt too bad to do it. The toughest little girl in the world is sitting here crying this morning because I hurt. I just put some Jevity, Xanax and Hydrochodone in the PEG and I will lay on the couch until the doc's office opens at 9. I wish I hadn't got so cocky and thrown out the stronger meds once I was feeling better. I won't do that again.

I'm glad that I had someone to talk to here for a couple of minutes and I surely don't want to be a whiner. I'll call the doc as soon as they open and I'll ask her "How much pain is normal?" This much just can't be normal.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace