I am not sure that more frequent and smaller doses of Cisplatin make it "less toxic". It is a very toxic drug to be sure. It might be more tolerable in more frequent, smaller doses but not less toxic. The stuff is made from platinum. If your hydration level isn't up to par, kidney danage can result, so adequate hydration is vital. Staying propetly hydtated will make you feel a lot better as well. I had to be rehydrated by IV once in the ER and twice in infusion. It's MUCH better, more comfotable and faster in the infusion unit. Make an appointment first - they don't take drop ins.

Cisplatin works as an alkylating agent that makes the tissue more responsive to radiation. It is most effective an adjunct to radiation.

Some here have been changed over to it's less toxic cousin, Carboplatin if hearing problems have arisen. Treatment plans CAN be changed and/or modified.

Cisplatin has been around for a long while and can add around 13-15% improvement to the survival odds. It has a proven track record and the gold standard when used in conjunction with radiation.

My reaction time to ct peaked in negativity about 2 days post infustion and got better slowly as time went on until the next treatment. I think part of the reason for that is that they hydrate you first before they add the smaller bag of Cisplatin and Zofran.

Last edited by Gary; 11-18-2008 02:57 AM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)