Hi, Lottie,

A really important factor in your husband's treatment is that many people on this board had radiation/chemo for about 35 treatments but did not have induction chemo. Your husband had about 6 weeks of induction chemo with three types of chemotherapy drugs BEFORE he began the combo radiation/chemo. He had 2 or 3 more rounds of cisplatin than did folks who had cisplatin/radiation and he had taxoture and 5-FU as well. That extra chemo may have caused more - or more intense- side effects. My husband had the same treatment as your husband and the recovery time post-treatment was slower than what people typically report on this board following radiation/chemo only. He had some mouth sores and bad mucositis for about 6 weeks post-treatment with a very gradual improvement. I think your husband's timetable for improvement may be different than for many others on this board but wanted to share my experience as my husband is doing quite well now.

Last edited by Sophie H.; 10-29-2008 06:24 PM.

Sophie T.

CG to husband: SCC Stage 4, T4, N1, M0; non-smoker and very light social drinker; HPV+
induction chemo begun 7/07; chemo/radiation ended 10/10, first cat scan clear; scan on 5/9/08 clear, scan on 10/08 clear; scan 1/09 clear; scan 1/10 clear; passed away July 2, 2016