You said your husband was into exercise and active before treatment, and that was the same with me. At six months post treatment I started jogging on my treadmill, which was around February. In Ohio that is snow and cold season, so exercised inside for February - April. I gradually worked my distance and speed up. It was a slow process. Throughout this past summer I have ran in probably 8 5K(3.1 mile) races with my time improving each race. I run 20 - 25 miles a week now. Under your doctors supervision, slowly work some of his old routines into his daily life.

At about 1 1/2 - 2 months post treatment I was eating by mouth cream soups, pudding, and the famous Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC drinks to learn how to swallow again and keep my calorie intake around 3,000 calories a day. I gradually added mashed potatoes and meats with loads of gravey and butter, pasta with a lot of sauce, while swallowing every bite with water. I used frozen dinners that had soft vegetables and foods with gravey. I had to relearn how to swallow.

Last week I had my third post treatment PET scan and finally got a clear report. My first two showed uptake which was found to be healing and scar tissue. So don't be surprised if the first few scans don't come back clear.

I received a lot of encouragement and knowledge from this forum, so keep checking back, reading, and ask a lot of questions.

Tom
SCC T4N1M0 left side tongue & 1 node
Dx 05/21/07 42 yrs old
40 Tx IMRT @ 70 Gy started 06/25/07
Cysplatin & 5fu 1st & 4th wks
treatment ended 08/23/07