Dianne, don't you agree that the late hours are the ones that are the scariest? We feel that help is farther away, so we worry more. Relax and concentrate on your breathing. I'll bet that it is just fine, and that air is passing through your nose and throat as always.

You neck is definitely healing, and as it does, the skin is adhering to the tissue beneath it. That skin was lifted during the dissection, and if it didn't stick back down and heal, you would have a huge problem. The issue with this healing is that as it heals, it is also forming scar tissue, and at some point....and you need to ask your surgeon, but do it now....you need to massage your neck to keep the skin from healing down too tightly...to break up some of the scar tissue and keep that skin healed but pliable at the same time.

they almost forgot to tell me to do this massaging, and I would have been left with that feeling of being choked....forever, I guess.

So....relax and breathe.....and go to sleep. You will wake up if there is any problem....and tomorrow, ask about the tightness of the skin and when you should begin to massage it, and ask how to do it. I still massage mine every night when I put on night-time moisturizer...because I remember how it felt to feel like I was being strangled by my own skin!

My dr. told me to be pretty vigorous ..."really get after it." It made me nervous, and now, except for the scar which is more obvious than some I have heard about, and the obvious loss of tissue on that one side, my skin is normal.

This is in the same category of asking when to exercise your jaw....left too long, it will also scar down and will forever be restricted in its opening. I exercise mine several times each day.

You will be fine, and I'm glad you have an appointment tomorrow. TALK and ASK QUESTIONS.

XO

XOX

Last edited by August; 10-19-2008 10:52 PM.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!