David and I do this on regular intervals. He had to know. It makes him feel better. For others, it makes no difference... especially after the fact.

You were having a great day. You stepped off the curb and a truck hit you. You were taken to the hospital, evaluated well by the doctors, and treated appropriately given that (for your bruises and broken leg) they did what every hospital in the US that was a quality hospital would have done. There were NO other treatment options available to them. You have been discharged from the hospital in good condition, a little worse for wear, but your life is going forward. Your doctors have told you to come back regularly so they can check that you are healing well, and that any potential for new problems related to your situation are caught early.

Now. Does it matter to you if it was Ford or a Chevy truck that hit you? Are you going to be doing anything different if you knew? No. You are going to be looking for ALL trucks, and probably for cars as well... and me, I'm so gun shy, I'm looking for bicycles too. But the knowledge of the type of truck still makes no difference to me. Perhaps there are some very speculative reasons for knowing. It may be that all Ford trucks have a blind spot, and they do this more often. Am I going to really just look for Ford trucks? No. (I'm a puss and I'm even looking for bicycles etc.) The other brands are still a danger even if those Fords might be a bit worse or harder to see coming.

It may be that Chevy trucks have a softer bumper, and people that get hit by them seem to get hurt less and live longer. Am I only going to be looking for Chevy trucks hopeing that if another one hits me it is a Chevy? Of course not, I'm looking for everything. If some safety expert down he road publishes a paper that says Fords driven by white people, especially in the dark, that are painted blue hit more people than others, will I find it interesting? If I was hit by one just like that, sure, but can I do any thing with that information? No. I am a science nerd, so I am reading about truck accidents all the time, and because I have a national platform to talk about trucks hitting people, I stay boned up on what's going on in this whole thing. But do you need to? Probably not. But if you are the kind of person that has to have an answer for everything that happens in your life, you could chase this forever and a day. You may one day find an interesting factoid or something that may influence your behavior, you may become an advocate like David, asking people to be for looking out for Trucks, Fords in particular, but for the bulk of people right now... I think it is just an exercise to know what kind hit you.

Consider yourself lucky that the truck didn't kill you. Live each day fully. Look both ways before you step off the curb. Have your doctors check you for any recurrence of issues related to your accident.... which you of course had no way to predict, prevent. All that is left for you, is the future.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.