Hi Don,

I would like to confirm the advice you have been given by the others. I am 3 1/2 weeks into my treatment and am now at a stage where I am very restricted with what I am able to eat and drink - and only half of my mouth and neck is being radiated. I also have weekly chemo (Cisplatin)which I am told amplifies the effects of radiation. I have to say that my whole mouth and throat has been affected, not just the areas getting direct radiation.

Eat all your favorites while you can. I have not lost too much weight - only a couple of pounds - but that has been through perseverence and sheer hard work. I don't have a PEG or a gastric tube and am determined to get through this without a 'borg' - if I can do that without effecting my overall health.

I too don't know what stage I'm at. I have had two primaries = both determined to be Stage 1 (T1N0M0) - but then a lymph node popped up six months after the second primary, with extracapsular spread. I then had a neck dissection, followed 5 weeks later by treatment. I did ask the question but got a fairly non-commital answer from both my RO (radiation oncologist) and my ENT. I think I'm probably Stage 3 but could be a 4. It doesn't really matter at this point. My focus is to get an outcome like David's!

In 12 month's time I hope to be posting that I am 'Cancer Free' and fit and healthy! That's my goal!

Good luck Don! And don't forget to eat and drink whatever takes your fancy while you can!!

Best Wishes

Sue

55 y/o
SCC LL Tongue 3/27/07
Part. mandibulectomy 9/2/07
Left ND 5/12/08
RT/Chemo
Rec LL Tongue 07/09
Part gloss 8/5 & 8/25
Surg 10/28/09 re mets to R neck & L jaw
RT & Chemo finished 12/22/09
PEG fitted 05/06/10