Reverie, I can only tell you about what happened to me. I didn't have the option to go to a ccc. I was referred to my ENT by my pcp. He decided to have a cat scan with contrast, and a Pet scan, but he said to begin with that he knew what I had. And so did I. I am sure they have saw just about everything. They took out my left tonsil plus extra tissue in that area on 6-10-08 and was in the hospital thru the 13th of june. I had other health issues. It is hard to swallow and my ear hurts but everything is slowly getting better. Getting a tonsilectomy is no walk in the park for someone my age.(55) Now my Ent says he was going to meet with the cancer board on Friday and everyone would have their input in my case. He had told me I would be getting radiation to kill the cancer in my lymph nodes or any cancer cells that could have been left next unless something changes. I would like to get to a ccc to get another opinion before any more procedures are done if at all possible. Your question regarding the biopsy was an issue for me not being able to get into Emory as they said I needed a biopsy first and then I could make an appt. and talk with them. Also, the Pet scan will have areas that lights up like a christmas tree where there is suspected carcinoma because of the nuclear medicine that is used in the test. The test is a breeze. If Davidcpa reads your info he can give you some great advice. He sought out several Dr.s before making his decision. But my ENT said because of the way mine looked that days did matter so I had to get it done asap. And I mentioned the relationship between HVP/cancer to several of the Dr.s I saw in the hospital and no one knew anything about it. Unbelievable! I ask them to check to see if I have HPV and they did not, so I don't know if my cancer is related to the virus or not yet. Take care and keep us informed as I know how you feel by not knowing your diagnosis as I went through that as well. If there is anything I can answer as to my case I will be glad to answer anything I can. These are wonderful people on this site who have really helped me. Angel

SCC left tonsil, tonsillectomy with additional tissue removed 06/10/08, a few teeth on top left side removed 09/05/08,recurrence before treatment started at BOT and tonsil area, 35 IMRT treatments began 10/15/08, and Cisplatin IV (began10/16/08) weekly for duration of radiation.