Dear Miss Vicki,
So glad you are now going to get speech and swallowing therapy, but you should also DEMAND a script for PT. Intra and extra oral facial massage should help with the trismus plus help somewhat with the dry mouth. Massage of the neck should reduce some of that hardness. See if they can recommend a therapist that specilaizes in Head and Neck problems. Keep stacking up those tongue depressors. You gotta get the mouth open to be able to eat.

Ask your doctor about this first, but another thing that might help is going for a facial. I had one about 4 months after radiation and the heat and moisture were wonderful, not to mention the massage. Also all that moisture is good for the trach. If nothing else, the relaxation alone is worth the money.

As to showering with a trach, mine is permanent so don't know if you temporary trach guys can wear any neck gear. Inhealth makes a shower guard that is good. email me if you want the details. Personally, most of the time I don't use it. If you have a shower that is large enough, stand with your back to it so that the water hits you below the shoulder blades. Cover your trach with your finger and turn and get the front of you wet or when you want to rinse. To wash my hair, I take a wash cloth and fold it triangular and roll it, then fold it in half and lay it in a circle just above the trach. Lean backwards and get the hair wet, put the cloth down, shampoo, and then reapply the cloth and rinse. This means you are shampooing with one hand and the other is holding the cloth. Tricky but it works. Hopefully that was 'clearer than mud'.

Now if I could only get up enough nerve to go in the ocean again.

Keep those drs on their toes.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I