Nicki and Tom -- 2 down, 33 to go!!

YOu guys sound a lot like us -- we were 1:30 from our treatment center so we had to do a lot of driving initially. I can't remember if I've mentioned this before but check with your local chapters of the American Cancer Society. They provided FREE lodging for Pam and I during both rounds of my radiation treatment. All told, I used about 10 weeks worth of hotel rooms at no cost to me (except for renting the occasional fridge and meals, etc.) It might be easier as the radiation gets tougher not to drive so much. Especially on chemo weeks, all i wanted to do was go back to the hotel and be still. The driving would have killed me then...

As for my mask experience, the very first day they had me in there doing films, I felt very claustrophobic and even yelled "help!" at one point (which got muffled because of the bite block on my tongue). It got easier and easier over time, and the second time I had radiation it was pretty much no problem (except for fears that I was moving/sliding around in subtle ways and that the radiation was missing the intended targets).

As others said, you do what you've got to do... I think that's the most amazing part about the human psyche. I'm pretty much a fraidy-cat when it comes to pain but I've amazed even myself by what I've endured. On the day they did the very first biopsy I was scared SICK about the fact they were going to put me out for 10 minutes to do a little snipping. Now, it's like "Boy, would I dream to have such a little procedure done" compared to chemo, CT-guided needle biopsies, neck dissections, etc.

Keep up the good work!!! Be safe and be well...

Eric

Tongue cancer (SCC), diagnosed Oct. 2003 (T2 N0 M0). Surgery to remove tumor. IMRT Radiation 30x in Dec 2003 - Jan. 2004. Recurrence lymph node - radical neck dissection June 2004. Second round of rad/chemo treatments ended Sept. 2004.