Nicki,

I guess I was lucky. No one ever asked if I wanted to go in with Heather when she had her RAD. I stayed in the waiting room most of the time, so I never saw her with the mask on. I did see the mask after her treatments were done, though and it's probably a good thing that I never saw her with it on.

As for the Xeloda, I don't know if skipping the last dose is a big deal or not. I can tell you that we were told up front that Xeloda could cause skin problems. I think I remember you mentioning that Tom has had some problems with red and splotchy skin. The Xeloda causes dehydration, which in turn causes the skin problems. The chemo nurses recommended using either Udderly Smooth or Bag Balm. We used Udderly Smooth....just rubbed it in several times a day. They said the palms of the hands and soles of the feet usually are affected the most, so we concentrated on keeping those areas well moistened with the cream.

I believe you also mentioned that Tom has had some tingling in his toes and fingers? I found the booklet we were given when Heather started on Xeloda. It calls this condition hand-and-foot syndrome and says to let your doctor know ASAP if you experience it. It usually starts with numbness, tingling, redness and swelling. It can progress to painful swelling and redness and can sometimes cause blistering and peeling of the skin. However, when caught early, it is easily treated. I certainly would let the docs know about the tingling/numbness before Tom starts the next round of Xeloda.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.