I agree with everything that Rosie has stated. The question was, has anyone had any experience with the gastro-nasal tube? I did, so answered it.
I did NOT have this tube during radiation. I went through radiation with NO feeding assistance of any kind wwith little loss of weight. Very few of us on the board have done this and I'm not recommending that your husband try this unless his doctor thinks he can. My radiologist uses the Peg as last resort, but they monitor your weight daily so as soon as you start losing, they come up with higher protein drinks. If that doesn't work, you get either PEG or nasal tube. Swallowing the stuff isn't easy and it took everything I had to get down the 4 cans I needed to maintain my weight. He probably would have to drink 6 or 8.

After the first couple of weeks and for several after, he will probably only be able to swallow high protein drinks and water, no food at all. I suggest you find Mark's high protein shake on this board and mix some up now to see if he thinks can live on nothing but this and Ensure Plus or equivalent via mouth for several weeks. What is your husband's opinion in all of this? He and his doctor are the one's that need to make the decision.

Let's put this thread to bed.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I