I fail to understand how a small nasogastric tube carrying food to the stomach will have much effect on the esophogus?? I had a PEG and ate NOTHING by mouth after the 4th week of radition until at least a month after treatment. But I did drink water all day long to keep my swallowing strong and to keep hydrated. I'm a strong woman but I cringe at the thought of enduring radiation and the months after without a PEG. The tube caused me no issues. I kept it tucked into the waist of my pants and forgot about it unless I was "eating". My tube was put in during my surgery, a full 6 weeks before radiation started.
I could not imagine having a tube in my nose for more then a few days.
If the PEG were such a risk I don't believe the top doctors in the country would be using them.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.