Congratulations to both you and Sheldon on completing your treatments. I was never given that dreaded mask. I forget what reason they gave, but there was some medical reason they didn't give them out. Someone on the board some time ago suggested a planter. I like the guy who ran it over with his SUV.

I never realized how much that mask had affected me until 3 years later I went for an open MRI of the head as I was getting unexplained headaches. They got out this mask to bolt me to the machine and I went hysterical. I did manage to have the test done, but never again. I NEVER want to see a mask or anything over my face again.

What is this phase three you are going to have? Will it effect your ability to eat? I too made it through without a PEG tube and was able to eat some foods shortly after radiation. This is a good season to be finishing with all the fresh vegetables and fruits coming available. Pick foods that have a lot of moisture in them. You might even try a bit of lobster claws with lots of butter in a month or so. That and rare lamb chops or steak were some of the first meats I could eat. Pasta with cream sauces. I also drank flat ginger ale, apple juice, water and milk to help get food down. Took a long time to get food down, but it was worth it to eat real food again.

Congrats again. You did it!

Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I