Cooldown - I'm so glad you got all these wonderful comments and happy that you are doing better. My son also got the news over the phone about his cancer but the doctor did call me first to ask how his emotional state was and where he was and if he was with me. I told him that he had lunch with some friends and seemed in a good state. When I got to my son's house he told me the doctor had called with the news and I felt really badly that I had not been with him but I agree that it's important to know the news soon. And about the effects, my son had all the effects of Rad much sooner than usual and out of 30 total treatments, he has had to take two breaks from the radiation - a one week, and another week and a half break. He has 9 more to go but the doctor started aiming the beam differently and with new pain and nausea meds, he's been doing much better. Just stay in touch with this site and hang in there!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)